Sunday, April 19, 2009

April 18 - Home of The Haddons



As much as I love the postman pat-reminiscent countryside and world-class kebabs of the UK, this trip was without a doubt all about seeing some old buddies. And although I couldnt afford the time to see them all there was definitely a day reserved for michelle, who I worked with at camp America in 2004. And her memory of how big I like my lunches is still as crisp as it was 3 years ago when we last caught up so naturally, the day in Sheffield began with a feast - my mouth fighting constantly between talking, and fish and chips. maybe coffee would have been a bit more civilized. Then it was a drive into the peak district (which is almost as imaginative as the lakes district in the naming category), where we would find the castle Haddon Hall, on not surprisingly enough, Haddon road. The hall has had a reserved place on my to-do list ever since I learnt it existed and so I wasn't going to let the fact that it was closed for the day stop me. Besides its my castle so I figure it can't technically be considered trespassing.

Built in the 12th century, this place sits atop a hill on the edge of a valley, bought to life by the army of dafidols which blanket the hillsides beneath and sequestered by the humble river lying on the valley floor. Unfortunately being somewhat of a castle, it meant that getting inside (or even past the stablehouse) proved to be somewhat problematic, so I will just have to settle for what they describe the interior to be like - "the finest example of a fortified medieval manor house in existence". so for the full monty you can check out the virtual tour at http://www.haddonhall.co.uk/tour_virtual_approach.htm where you may start to recognise it from Pride and Prejudice


But this hall was only the appetiser of things to come, and as we wound our way through the peak district where quaint villages and country manors nesstle in valleys strung together by a web of mossy stone walls, we came to Chatsworth House. This is a place which hosts the international horse trials, a special stage in the WRC, and a head-sized icecream selling shop, but most of all it hosts a reality for the imaginations of everyone who dreams of the ultimate country house. Seat of the Dukes Of Devonshire, Chatsworth is just another one of those places that photos will never do justice.


A few years back Michelle had bought me the book '1000 places to see before you die', although as the first one never made it to me in NZ she presented it to me again today. And so as we were sitting in the sun on the 'front lawn' of Chatsworth I open the pages to find the very spot I'm sitting in listed within. So almost instantly I was left with only 999 places left to see before I die. easy.


I rounded off the evening in Manchester before heading home, Thanks to Michelle for a wicked day and a wicked friendship.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I feel honoured to have made it on here, especially strange as I was re-reading some old correspondance this afternoon too. Can't wait to see Sweden with you! x