Friday, January 30, 2009

26 Jan - End of an Era


Well today, after only one week of bonding with red lightning I say my farewells - she can no longer handle the jandal and has been forced into early retirement (which may or may not be through any action on my part). So easy come easy go and all though she will always be in my heart, I now say g'day to Rex (as see in the pic below). Now as for the motive behind naming a bike rex, well I'll leave you to you to decide, cos it;s gonna require some work on your imaginations behalf. Though I can barely complain - my new machine has three times as many gears as red lightning (it has 3 gears) and front AND rear brakes. Oh and did I forget to mention a kickstand. Someones moving up in the world..




SOME NOTES ON SWEDISH CULTURE..

Now being a geography student its appropriate I feel to make vast presumptuous generalisations about a culture from which I have only witnessed a small slice of, and so I'll start with the most important facet of any geographic comparative study: food. So far Ive been impressed, though that's based largely on me finally finding peanut butter in the supermarket here today, so might be slightly bias.. The meatballs are good though and I love the whole jam-with-rice thing they've got going on. Its like breakfast + dinner = dessert. smart.


The great thing about Swedish food is the diversity between regions, so sampling a sausage from Norrland still doesn’t educate you in the sausage category of Varmland. Some places even have their own special cheesecakes, so its hard work to get through all of them but as I am a foreigner traveling in this country I feel like it’s my duty to become informed about these strenuous particulars. One thing worth noting is the Neapolitan ice cream which is some sort of cruel joke, vanilla, strawberry, and, oh no wait that’s it. Yeah just leave out the only flavor that people buy Neapolitan for. In their defense however, the chocolate itself here is amazing, good enough to warrant a trip just for one bar. Though you might as well get a few if you’re gonna come all the way..

Cooking kiwi style at home for 15 people

Photos Updated:
Sweden




No comments: