Tuesday, January 27, 2009

19 Jan - Red Lightning


Today I welcomed a new member into my family: Red Lightning. She’s a bike that I bought by a bearded swede in a back alley behind Uppsala university in last nights snow for NZ$100 - which in a town where a bus ride will set you back NZ$6, I figured was a worthy investment. With a single gear: go-fast-gear, lightning fast red paintjob (probably reminiscent of its days under Ferrari sponsorship), a chain slacker than a Norwegian bartender (unavoidable given that the whole bike is seized into one comprehensive whole,) and white snow-cammo tyres, I’m ready to take on anything. And today came her first real challenge: Riding 3km to the supermarket and back with 4 bags laden with groceries on hard-pack ice. All the while tending to my cut open lip, which was like a tap of blood that was jammed on for three hours, after gashing it open with my toothbrush this morning. It would seem that I brush pretty hard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you dental hygiene is still a-ok! Red lightning sounds like a solid investment. When you in Sweden til? Been looking at some flights.....:>)