Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New York, USA - 1st Jan 09



Now most people come to this city to see the amazing Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, or Ground Zero. But not me. At least, not this time round - it was all about my old friends from camp monroe (04/05) and food. Oh yeah, and new years. In fact my list of culinary requirements was so specific that Maris even put together this sort of schedule so I could tick off all the obscure restaurants and coffee houses in time, cheers Maris!


Then there was the small issue of my luggage which was conveniently lost by air canada somewhere in Calgary en route to New York, so I entrusted my buddy Kareem to be my personal shopping assistant because although I am living proof that you can live and travel with nothing it's not something I seek intentionally (though for those of you who know what happened to me last time you might be starting to think otherwise). So it was a productive trip and although my plans to visit my summer camp didnt materialise I did have a reunion party in the city which was even better considering summer camps in the middle of winter dont have a heck of a lot going on, its in the name I suppose.




And of course I managed to tick of the entire list of eateries that have been quietly teasing me for the past 3 years since my last time in New York, as well as finding a few new ones which in a city with over 20,000 really isn't that difficult.. New York is an amazing city, and not just for its pizza, and in wintertime it embodies a charisma all of it's own. The best cities are always those where the best attractions are simply the streets which host attractions and this place is definitely one of them.


Thanks Maris for the hospitality and for putting up with a guy with a very limited supply of hygeine paraphernalia.


Photos:

New York

1 comment:

Cilla said...

Gareth!
How are you?!
Wow so your on a another world trip huh?! How long you travelling for?
If you come back to the states let me know! I currently live in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Safe travels :)