Tuesday, June 16, 2009

You Know You're In Borneo When...

Well Ive successfully found a place that is as far from Sweden as possible, in every way possible: Borneo. To carry my point here's another list to start off where the last one left. You know you're in Borneo when...

Stop signs are "just used for shade"
A swim in the sea is the most unrefreshing thing one can do - is there anything even even remotely cold around here?
Dinner consists of rice, veges, and whole fish - and everyone's fighting over who gets the eyes
There's not a single Volvo insight. At all.
You're the only white guy on the entire plane
Insect repellent becomes permanently fastened to your hand
The most amazing beaches graced by the most amazing sunsets are amazingly amazing
The toilet seat stays closed to keep out unwanted guests, i.e. monitor lizards
You silently praise the bloke who invented air-con at least 3 times a day



The experience really began in the plane flying over the islands and oil rigs of Malaysia, when the bloke next to me (who had a grand total of 3 teeth and whose family occupied the entire back quarter of the plane) asked me if I was an all black. Being the only kiwi he had ever met I suppose I could see where he was coming from, but unfortunately I had to burst the poor old man's bubble - that I only play for the Canes.

Upon my first day of arrival, after being hit by a brick outhouse in the form of 35 degrees, and near-interrogated by airport staff concerned about swine flu, I put aside some severe sleep deprivation in favour of a swim in the sea. Hoping to be woken up slightly, the water temperature was likened to the last shower I'd had in Sweden and instead I was really just taking a bath in the world's biggest bath tub. So in other words it hardly worked to refresh me. I'm now at my new temporary home in Miri, East Malaysia, with a family for whom hospitality takes on a whole new level and am offered the chance to see a side of Malaysia that we are not always so lucky to see. Big ups to the Raj family, you guys are awesome.

No comments: